It took me a while to realize the INSANE MINDBLOWING FACT that our hotel room number tonight* is the date of our anniversary. Which is today. What? How? AWESOME!!!!!
May 18th, 2001. The day that I finally achieved complete hypnosis of Tyler and was able to trick him into marrying me. Mwahahah!!
Yes, my dearest internet friends, that is ten years ago today. Ten years ago we got married in San Diego and started off on our long road trip up the coast of California for our honeymoon. And this morning, we started off on a long road trip from New York City to Toronto. Just like 10 years ago, Tyler and I talked the whole time about any old thing that came to mind, as we usually do when we take long car trips.
Only this time, we had 2 littles in the back giggling and making crazy noises the whole way.
Here are some things I'd like to remember from the last ten years:
- that one time when I was in the hospital, drugged up, and halucinated that I saw Tyler, naked, bathing in the tiny bedside sink.
-the incident. (don't click this link, mom.)
- Tyler quitting his job to join Blue Lily full time.
- the adoption of our two adorables.
- the purchase of our FIRST HOUSE!
- travelling the world together, photographing it together. And the accompanying new friendships that come along with going new places.
- starting to homeschool together, even though it's more like "fun, not at home school".
-all the times he's made me laugh so hard that I cry.
Here are some things I'd like to remember about today:
- the blissful feelings I felt as we held hands while driving upstate. Feeling so grateful that we still get along, have such similar passions, and share a love of being with our family and having adventures.
- having the kids wish us a "Happy Anniversary!" from time to time, and wondering if they really understood what it means.
- Isaac picking a bouqet of about 30 very fuzzy dandelions and them blowing them in my face, ha!
- the beautiful, gorgeous scenery we took in together on our 12 hour drive that should have been 8.5 hours. I guess we were having so much fun we decided to make it last longer?
- Laughing so hard in the car, while I was driving, in the pouring rain. Yes, laughing SO HARD at Tyler's humor that I was sure we'd not make it past 10 years of marriage because we were all going to die as a result of me careening off the road and into a vast chasm.
- not dying in the car because of uproarious laughter.
While driving I also reflected on how quickly, yet how slowly this 10 year achievement passed. I remember at our 5 year anniversary I told Tyler, "We need to go somewhere so exotic, so epic for our 10 year anniversary." At that point of our lives we had a 1 month old baby who screamed bloody murder for at least 8 hours a day AND we were living in our old house with FIVE other people, two of which were also little babies (who didn't scream). So you can imagine that I really wanted a great escape at that time.
It's fun to realize that we are on an exotic, epic adventure for our 10 year.... and we didn't even plan it that way.
Happy Anniversary, Tyler- I love you immensely.
Photos from our brief stop today in Palmyra, upstate New York. Simply beautiful there.
*please do not track down our hotel and stalk us.
BLUE LILY | Lifestyle Photographer | Salt Lake City, Utah